Feb 10-16 (Jan 1st to 7th of the lunar New Year) – 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Bowing the Three Thousand Buddha Repentance
Praying for world peace, favorable weather conditions,
the peace and prosperity of all countries and people,
and the eradication of calamities and increase of blessings.
May those who see and hear about this be joyful.
May all gain benefits of Dharma and together realize Buddhahood.
Saturday, February 9 (Lunar New Year’s eve) – 1:00 PM – 3:30PM
In cultivation, there are 84,000 kinds of dharma practices, and hand-copying sutras is one of them. Sutra copying can help us focus our minds, nurture our character, and open our wisdom. The Bodhisattva Asanga once said:
“There are five benefits from handcopying a sutra:
(1) One can draw near to the Tathagata;
(2) One can gather in and gain blessings and virtues;
(3) Praising the Dharma is also cultivating;
(4) One can receive offerings from heavenly beings;
(5) One can eradicate offenses.”
In 2006, Gold Buddha Monastery started this tradition called the “First Stroke of Auspiciousness, Sutra Copying for Blessings”. This event was conducted on Chinese New Year’s Eve at 1:30 in the afternoon. All those who participated brought forth their earnest sincerity to hand-copy sutras. This year 2013, we continue to hand copy several sutras; namely, “The Heart of Prajna Paramita Sutra”, “Vajra Prajna Paramita Sutra”, “Great Strength Bodhisattva’s Perfect Penetration Chapter”, “The Avatamsaka Sutra Preface”, “The Sutra of the Eight Awakenings of Great Sages”, “Vajra Prajna Paramita Sutra”, “Medicine Master Sutra”, and “Shurangama Mantra Verses by Venerable Master Hua”.
May the merit and virtue of handcopying sutras,
be universally transferred to all beings in the Dharma Realm
and may all attain Bodhi fruition.
May all attain bliss and leave suffering,
bring forth Bodhi resolve and attain Bodhi Way.
*** [ PDF document share ] 2013 GBM Sutra Copying
With joy, we welcome the auspiciousness of spring
Gold Buddha Monastery Celebrates the 2013 Lunar New Year
Saturday, February 9 – Lunar New Year’s Eve
- Efficacious syllables will shake the Heaven and Earth – recite the Great Compassion Mantra – 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM
- Carefully copying sutra texts helps us enter samadhi – 1:00 PM – 3:30PM
- Lighting a candle on new year’s eve will enhance the light of our minds – 8:00 PM ~
- Compose and sign wishes for the new year – February 9-16
Sunday, February 10 to Saturday, February 16 – 1st to 7th Days of the Lunar New Year
- Bowing the Three Thousand Buddhas Repentance – 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Bowing the Three Thousand Buddhas Repentance
To pray for world peace, favorable weather conditions, the peace and prosperity of all countries and people, and the eradication of calamities and increase of blessings.
May those who see and hear about this be joyful. May all gain benefits of the Dharma and together realize Buddhahood.